– It’ll be a long time until you have enough cash to max out any one gun, so we recommend letting the mission system guide you towards your next upgrade. Before going on a hunt, you’ll be provided with a list of suggested upgrades. Work towards these first.
– In certain missions, you’ll be tasked with shooting an animal either in the heart or one of the lungs. You’ll need the infrared power activated to be able to see these vital organs – the heart sits in the middle, and the lungs are either side of the heart. Pay close attention to the requirements of a mission before starting.
– Struggling to hit the ducks in the contract hunting work? Once you’ve established the general direction the bird is flying in, move your gun sights a little ahead of its flight path, and simply wait for the duck to fly through your crosshairs before firing. You don’t have to hit the bird dead-center either – as long as you strike within the general hit window, you should have no trouble taking the duck down.
– Bored of waiting for the energy meter to refill? You can’t advance your system clock to refill it quickly, but you can use some of the gold bars that you earn to top it up straight away. Use this precious resource sparingly though – sometimes it’s better to wait a few minutes than to blow through your whole stash.
– Don’t hang about in the later levels! Once you reach the point where a single shot doesn’t kill an animal, either upgrade your gun to deliver more bang for your buck, or act very quickly to reload and finish off the job. Note that other animals in the hunt may be startled by your first shot too, so move quickly.
– Having said that, if you’re in a really bad position then you’ll want to make that first, critical shot count. Set things up in your favor in terms of positioning, and get everything lined up nicely before firing off that first shot.
– Some of those animals will fight back, so make sure you’ve got your secondary weapon on standby if you didn’t take out your prey in one go. Wolves in particular will charge at you immediately after an errant strike, so get ready to bring your shotgun into play.
– You can use something called an Animal Call to preserve your progress if you’re really struggling with a mission. By activating this special item, the mission will restart, but you’ll keep the animal kills you racked up in the earlier attempt. Save these for only the trickiest hunts though, as you only get a few for free.
– At first, each hunting scene will only be filled with the animals you need to kill. Later on though, there’ll be a mixture of animals wandering around the landscape. Pay very close attention to the animal preview before you begin – this will give you an important visual clue about the appearance of your prey.